Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Squid Mixes: Alhambra Royale

This was another in our quest for a Christmas cocktail, again with the idea of offering a non-alcoholic alternative to the kids.  The Alhambra Royale combines hot chocolate with cognac.  My recipe, from The New York Bartender's Guide, includes an orange peel garnish and a whipped cream topping.  The real fun is the fact that one ignites the cognac before pouring it into the cocoa, a first for me.

The drink is nice, but strong.  Perhaps the fact that I forgot to stir after adding the cognac was a bit of a problem.  We both preferred the chai toddy.

One more Christmas candidate next week...

12 comments:

  1. How do you keep from burning yourself when you pour it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, first you pour the cognac into a ladle, then you heat it over hot water. Then you ignite it just before you pour it in.

      Delete
  2. Must be beautiful. But not for my migraine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a rich Christmas cocktail. I make more of a mudslide with lots of liquors, ice cream and chocolate drizzle. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing! I haven't done a cocktail with ice cream yet but there are some exciting possibilities there.

      Delete
  4. Just reading this is giving me a migraine.
    Love anything with whipped cream, real whipped cream !
    I am so enjoying your QUEST !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is no substitute for real whipped cream, I'll admit. That said, the stuff in a can is fun in its way, too. And it's easier.

      Delete
    2. I adore the stuff in the can.
      Watson and thehamish loved hearing that sound and always came running for some !
      Cheeky little devils

      Delete
    3. Yes. Our former cats would have. Our current residents don't seem to care.

      Delete
  5. This is a big NO from me as I was stupid when I turned 19...I can't even smell cognac

    ReplyDelete