Friday, August 19, 2016

On the Road: New Paltz and Smuggs

Lucky reader, I have more vacation slides for you today!  Since our last screening, we have spent a weekend in New Paltz, New York for a family wedding and one at Smuggler's Notch in Vermont for a lovely gathering with friends.  Dim the lights and pop the corn.  The kids are staying up late tonight...


New Paltz
Our protector at the New Paltz Hostel

My breakfast at Main Street Bistro

A drink invented by one of my new cousins: The Beet Goes On
Smuggler's Notch

Homemade pizza

Aviation, prepared by The Playwright


I bet you didn't know August 6th was National Root Beer Float Day!


A funny exchange with my daughter regarding the aforementioned holiday...

DAUGHTER: I can't believe there's a National Root Beer Float Day.

ME: There's a day for everything.

DAUGHTER: Root beer floats are not just anything!

Our gathering, with English Prof and The Playwright joining us from Worcester, was not merely about food and drink, though I can see how the photos might lead one to believe that.  There was also swimming, hot tubbing, movies and Olympics watching.  It was a most relaxing weekend.

20 comments:

  1. Love the photos...that homemade pizza looks epic ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get pizza dough occasionally as part of our CSA share. It's awesome!

      Delete
  2. Looks like good eats. I've never had a root beer float, but I'd like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family time is precious - great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you were well fed and watered during your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Much of our travel is planned around food - a nice way to live.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a lovely trip. You definitely had some tasty drinks and food that is for sure. :) I had no idea about National Rootbeer Float Day. I haven't had one in ages.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did some family taste tests a few years back. Philadelphia style works better than French and A&W truly is best. Higher grade root beers are best saved for sipping.

      Delete
  6. Hey AS. My attention is always grabbed with photos of food and drink, and here are some drinks even I am not acquainted with, fancy that! I adore that name: The Beet Goes On. Hand one over!

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photos! I love homemade pizza and have made my own, which I call pita pizza. I use the small pita, then I add some tomato sauce, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers and top it with cheese, then bake. It is delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that is one relaxing weekend! That homemade pizza looks absolutely delicious! Way to go sharing these photos, and I wish you a fabuloso (as George Lucas says) one Armchair Squid

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Isn't he spectacular? The hostel is a quirky little place.

      Delete
  10. Goodness, everything looks fun, tasty and very drinkable.
    Love Rootbeer Floats !

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete