Monday, January 25, 2016

On the Coffee Table: Treasure Hunters

Title: Bone, Volume 8: Treasure Hunters
Writer and Artist: Jeff Smith
via Bone Wiki
I'm getting close to the end of the brilliant Bone comic book series with only one more volume to go.  The inhabitants of the valley, including our friends the Bones, Thorn and Gran'ma Ben, have taken shelter in the old capital city of Atheia.  Even on safer ground, Briar seems to be able to reach Thorn, though not quite possess her.  Supported by Fone Bone, her strongest advocate, Thorn is starting to come into her own, standing up to Gran'ma Ben and others overly eager to protect her.  Phoney Bone is up to his old scheming ways but I have a sneaking suspicion he has a reluctant hero role yet to play.

Just in case anyone is left with any doubts of Jeff Smith's genius in the sequential art medium, he executes a perfect visual rendition of the shave-and-a-haircut knock on page 87.

4 comments:

  1. I really need to get back to those...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are most excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing how all of the various story threads tie together.

      Delete
  2. I must get these. I love graphic novels and I remember you mentioning them before. I added them to my list, but haven't picked one up yet. Sounds absolutely fabulous! Thanks for the reminder. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite good. Once I get to the end, I will discuss more but if you want to see what comic timing looks like visually, Bone is the series for you. But there's depth to this story, too.

      Delete