Monday, January 4, 2016

On the Coffee Table: T. K. V. Desikachar

Title: The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
Author: T. K. V. Desikachar
via Amazon
Back in June, I wrote about my first yoga class.  Since then, my wife and I have made a point of trying to make it to the studio every weekend.  Exercise is a big part of my current quest to find greater balance in my life and with the Vermont winter progressing, indoor activities become important.  Yoga could be a good fit.

The challenge for me, however, is learning how to practice on my own.  To this point, I've only ever done yoga in a class or with a video - in other words, doing exactly what someone tells me to do.  While I'm eager to learn as much as I can from the teachers at the studio, eventually I'll need to establish my own routines.  The Heart of Yoga was recommended by one instructor so I figured I'd try it.

I was hoping for a book that would provide a suitable sequence of poses (asana) but Desikachar's work offers a much broader overview of yoga.  In fact, most of the book isn't about the physical exercises at all.  The breathing, the contortions and the meditation are all a gateway to a healthier approach to life.  The author defines yoga's purpose as "to attain what was previously unattainable" and that purpose runs deeper than merely being able to hold the bridge pose longer than you could before.  Yoga helps us to see the world more clearly.

The Heart of Yoga thoroughly examines the philosophical and spiritual underpinnings of the practice.  Much of the text is in Q&A format so it feels like a conversation between teacher and student.  In Part III, Desikachar presents the Yoga Sutra line by line in both Sanskrit and English transliteration, followed by his own commentary.  Part IV contains poetry by yogi T. Krishnamacharya.  All of this is far more than I expected.  I'm glad to know all of the background but was eager for something more practical.

Fortunately, there are four suggested practice sequences in the appendix.  Throughout, Desikachar stresses the importance of working with a teacher.  But between the book and the more or less weekly classes, I think I have enough to get started.  The rest of the text, I hope, will prove a meaningful reference in the future.

12 comments:

  1. A healthier approach to life is certainly gaining in importance as we age. Lately I've had the benefits of meditation and proper breathing demonstrated to me --an improved posture toward existence. I wish you every success in your own inquiry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe try a DVD?

    I want to take a leaf out of your book here, as I need to take on a healthier approach to life too. I've done yoga & pilates before, and I felt great while doing it. The classes are really expensive though and I haven't been able to work them into my budget. I may be better able to do so this year though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried videos before. While useful, they present the same limitations of a class without the benefit of teacher feedback. I tried one of the book's sequences last night. It worked out well.

      Delete
  3. I have never taken a yoga class even though I have been interested in it--any exercise that doesn't hurt my knees would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable! A thoughtful instructor would be able to help with that, I think.

      Delete
  4. I would love to get into a practice routine but haven't for the same reasons you said. This sounds like a good book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I come across one more practical, I will likely share that one, too.

      Delete
  5. I do enjoy yoga, but haven't done it on a regular basis. I have been meaning to get into a regular class, because so far I do not have the skills to do it on my own. This sounds like a book that would be helpful, especially when working with an instructor to get things down. Good luck with your at home yoga. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my best friends worked with the Oscar nominated film "Restrepo". Throught her work with the National Geographic, Tim Hetherington, Sebastian Junger and the soldiers fighting in the most deadliest places on the earth, Korengal Valley.
    It should have won the Oscar. Tim was later killed on the front lines of Misrate, Libya durning 2011 Libyan civil war.
    As Kanani promoted the film, she got involved in Yoga for returning soldiers. She has written on the benefits all the veterans had.
    Since I have no balance I am looking into yoga for seniors, who have to sit on a chair.
    Sorry this is so long but I thought I would tell why I know about this.
    I tear up everytime I think about this film.
    Goodness I am so boring but I have the fabulous, wonderful talented friends. I am very lucky

    Good Luck with your yoga.
    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Restrepo sounds like a moving experience. And I totally understand being proud of talented friends.

      Delete