Friday, July 17, 2015

On the Coffee Table: Old Man's Cave

Title: Bone, Volume 6: Old Man's Cave
Writer and Artist: Jeff Smith
via Bone Wiki
The adventures of the Bone cousins continue in this sixth collection, comprising issues 35-39 of the excellent Bone comic book series.   My previous posts on the opus can be found here, here and here.

As the story opens, Fone and Smiley are trying to find their way back to Thorn as she, in turn, sets off in search of them.  Meanwhile, the villagers of Barrelhaven struggle to recover from the recent, devastating attack by the Rat Creatures.  We learn more about the enemies in Old Man's Cave: the Hooded One and the Lord of the Locusts, both of whom are plotting against the Bones, Thorn and Gran'ma Ben.  Trust is the overarching theme in this book.  Can Thorn trust Gran'ma?  Can the villagers trust Phoney Bone?  True to the nature - and the genius - of the series, Volume 6 ends with as many questions as answers.  Needless to say, I'm definitely up for more.

12 comments:

  1. I'm sure I say something like this every time, but I really need to find my Bone comics and re-read then finish that series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew of this comic strip and will need to introduce it to another "Bone{

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen this before. I would read something like this and then put it in my classroom library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a teacher, I'm surprised you haven't. In my experience, Bone is very popular with elementary school boys, though my daughter likes them, too.

      Delete
  4. Never heard of it, but seems quite a fine read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 3rd gr. boys would have loved this comic! Sadly, this was back in age of Pokemon and Dragon something Z. Sad stuff, there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's about the target demographic and Bone is definitely better than a lot of the vacant fluff that's out there.

      Delete
  6. I still need to read one of these but trust is a powerful theme for any story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly true. Hey, are we on for Twitter at noon tomorrow?

      Delete