Sunday, September 1, 2013

US Open 2013: Middle Sunday

via bethubb
Philipp Kohlschreiber (22nd seed, Germany) is what is known in tennis circles as a dangerous floater.  Never one to challenge for Major titles, he's still the guy nobody wants to have to play.  He's a scrappy right-handed grinder who fears no one.  The giant killer resume is quite respectable.  In recent years, he took out Andy Roddick in the third round of the 2008 Australian Open and Novak Djokovic in the third of the 2009 French.  In fact, he's the last player to beat Djokovic before the quarterfinals of a Slam.  He certainly has John Isner's number - at least on the big stage - having taken the towering American out of the US Open both this year and last.

Kohlschreiber is now 29 years young and still going strong, having reached the finals of three tournaments this year.  He won the doubles title in Doha with countryman Christopher Kas.  Next up, he faces the hottest player in tennis: Rafael Nadal (2nd, Spain).  He actually has one victory over Nadal (Halle 2012) but has lost to the Spaniard nine times.  I would say Kohlschreiber has a better chance of derailing the dream Federer/Nadal quarterfinal than Tommy Robredo (19th, Spain) does but that's not saying much.  Robredo has never beaten Fed (7th, Switzerland) in 10 tries.  The best weapon Kohlschreiber has is force of will and no one's ever going to beat Rafa at that game.

2 comments:

  1. I have been watching some of the Open on TV and I caught the match where Azarenka was playing. I turn it off. I was hoping she would lose. Her grunting and squealing was complete garbage. It is all done to unnerve her opponent. I think she should be fined for the sounds she makes. Funny thing in an sport page I read you never hear the top three women who grunt so loud, they don't make that kind of noise at all at practice.
    When I played tennis and I was pretty good, I did exhale some but I never screamed like that.
    I hope she loses ! and gets hit with a huge fine.
    just saying....

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grunting is a real and understandable block for the casual fan, too. Give me the quiet elegance of Federer or Sampras anytime.

      Delete