Sunday, June 16, 2013

Family Movie Night: Beauty and the Beast

Title: Beauty and the Beast
Director: Jean Cocteau
Original Release: 1946
Choice: My Wife's
My Overall Rating: 3 stars out of 5
Image via Wikipedia

Numerous films have been based on the traditional fairy tale, Beauty in the Beast.  The Family Movie Night favorite at our house is Jean Cocteau's 1946 classic, La Belle et la BĂȘte in French.  Cocteau was a 20th century renaissance man, a master of numerous art forms: poetry, novels, plays, art and film among others.  Cocteau's films, including Beauty and the Beast, were ahead of their time in the use of visual effects to create ethereal, dreamlike sequences.  The technology was, of course, quite primitive by 21st century standards but the more basic camera tricks were no less effective.  My favorite scene is Belle's father's entrance into the Beast's castle:



While the visuals are undeniably stunning, I find the story's pacing to be uneven, thus a 3 rating and not higher.  The (over)acting's quite stylized, not unusual for the era.  Both leads are beautiful: Josette Day as Belle and Jean Marais (Cocteau's lover of 25 years and star of several of the director's most famous films) as Beast/Avenant.



Multi-generational considerations:
  • The film is subtitled, a treat for Our Girl as she kept asking My Wife about the French.  It would seem I'm not the only one who's become more interested in the language from recent travels to Quebec.  I don't know if it cut into the enjoyment of the movie for My Wife but I thought it was sweet.

8 comments:

  1. My mother and brother are both fluent in French. I love listening to my mother speak it. She used to sing 'La Vie en Rose' to us as kids. That and McCartney's Michelle. That one I can sing, too -- and understand. I can ask how you're doing and tell you my name in complete sentences but other than that, it's 'oui' and 'c'est vrai.' Oh, and 'je ne sais quoi.' When I was in college, this woman said to me, 'You don't look entirely Caucasian. Are you French-Canadian?' :)

    This is a french film I would like to see: http://www.youtube.com/movie/alphaville?feature=mv_sr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Alphaville. Film noir meets science fiction in French - sounds like a can't-miss at our house!

      Delete
  2. Haven't seen this, or any B&tB version. I really do need to get caught up on those :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen this one and Disney. Both are fun, for completely different reasons. The '46 film is more adult-friendly.

      Delete
  3. I just re-watched this one recently and showed it to my kids for the first time. It's a version I really like. I do think my memory of it was slightly more magical than the actuality, but I still think it's a great film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The visual tricks are very nicely done. It's impressive that a film from 1946 can still wow the senses in the age of CGI, THX and all the rest.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful film. I've heard of it, but have never seen it or the trailer. I'll bet the visuals were cutting edge for its time. My favorite French film is Cyrano. Absolutely breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gerard Depardieu Cyrano? Yes, that's a good one.

      Favorite French film for me - I'd go with Amelie.

      Delete