Tuesday, November 13, 2012

On the Coffee Table: Anne of the Island

Title: Anne of the Island
Author: L.M. Montgomery
Image via BetterWorldBooks

Anne Shirley has charmed me once again.  Anne of the Island is the third in Montgomery's classic Anne of Green Gables series, covering Anne's Redmond College years.  Just as charming as the story's heroine is the exuberant cadence of Montgomery's prose.

Readers of previous posts may recall that we went on a family vacation to Prince Edward Island this past summer.  Montgomery's loving portrait inspires a longing to return to the Maritimes.  Much of the story this time takes place in Nova Scotia, rather than PEI.  Sadly, while there is a Kingsport in Nova Scotia, the one exquisitely described in the book is entirely fictional, combining elements of Halifax and Annapolis Royal. 

Now, I must decide if I want to continue with the series - I've read three of the eight so far.  I'm going to give a mild spoiler alert here but this book has been in publication for 97 years - past the statute of limitations, I think.  While I knew, from reading the synopses of future books in the series, that Anne ends up with Gilbert Blythe, I had to see it happen.  At the end of Anne of the Island, they finally pledge their love to one another.  I think I can move on, at least for now.

If you're interested, here are my previous Anne and PEI posts:

12 Books in 12 Months: Your Mom/Dad/Sister/Brother's Favorite Book
On the Coffee Table: L.M. Montgomery
On the Road: Prince Edward Island

No comments:

Post a Comment