Monday, August 20, 2012

Family Adventures: Last Hike of the Summer




Hiking was a tough sell for our daughter this weekend.  In fact, getting her out of the house at all was quite a challenge.  We'll get to why at the end of the post.

We went to Underhill State Park yesterday, site of several gratifying family hikes over the past few months.  We hiked the Eagle's Cut Trail, then CCC Road to its junction with the Sunset Ridge Trail.  It was our intention (by which I mean My Wife's and my intention) to make it all the way to Cantilever Rock but Our Girl was pretty fussy.  At one point, My Wife said to her, "Come on, it's our last hike of the summer.  Daddy goes back to work this week."  I hadn't really thought of it in those terms.  What a fine summer it's been, too.  Sigh...  In the end, it was a pretty close match to our very first hike of the season.

It's definitely getting cooler and there are other, more visible signs of autumn's approach, too.


We did see a beautiful luna moth caterpillar on the way down the hill:

 

Our Girl didn't even want to stop for ice cream, so eager was she to spend time with her early birthday present.  Everybody, say hi to the new kid.  Hi, new kid!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Female - how'd you know? That look of intelligence?

      Delete
    2. There was a black cat in a novel I read called Perdita. She bears her litter in a kind of climactic part of the book and, though it's been about twelve years since I read it, I instantly thought of her when I saw your photo of the new kid.

      Delete
  2. The new kid will get you all in order. Cats have incredible powers.

    ReplyDelete