Friday, April 20, 2012

Second Basemen, A to Z: Willie Randolph

Player: Willie Randolph
Born: 7/6/1954 in Holly Hill, South Carolina
Major League Career: 1975-92
Games Played at Second Base: 2,152
Most Games Played For: New York Yankees


Photo via Pinstripe Alley

Willie Randolph was a six-time All-Star and a six-time World Series champ, twice as a player and four times as a coach. Despite the fact that he finished his career in the top ten of several major defensive categories, he never won a Gold Glove. He's had a long second career in coaching, including four years managing the Mets. Last year, he was the Orioles' third base coach.

*******************

For last year's A-Z Challenge, I featured players of the Baltimore Orioles/St. Louis Browns organization, my favorite baseball team. I managed to cover every position on the field except for one: second baseman. As such, I decided to devote this year's challenge entirely to the second base position, honoring the individuals who earned their keep playing one of the game's most demanding defensive positions.

Head on over to Blogging from A to Z April Challenge to find others joining the adventure.


Be sure to visit my friends:

What Else Is Possible?
Annalisa Crawford- Wake up, eat, write, sleep
Christine Rains - Writer
Jennifer Lane Books Blog
Excuse Me While I Note That Down...

6 comments:

  1. Hi Armchair Squid,

    I really liked you idea on the A to Z letter posts for the challenge and had to share this great baseball education with others. So...I added your blog to my A.D.'s FAV 5 of the A to Z Challenge today! Yeppie!
    http://adduling.wordpress.com/

    If you go now, you will not see it...still working my way through, you are #1 :0)

    Happy Friday!
    A.D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that I found your blog. Baseball is my favorite sport. I want to tell you good luck throughout the challenge of covering second base.

    I will be back to see who else you decide to cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice here...and a good pic. Always like Willie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIKED....That whole era....Jackson, Munson, Guidry, Nettles, Chambliss....it IS a wonder I didn't become a fan...

      Delete