Sunday, November 13, 2011

I'm with the Band: Maryland

Band: Mighty Sound of Maryland
University: University of Maryland
Founded: 1908
Current Director: Dr. L. Richmond Sparks
Fight Song: "The Victory Song"

Maryland is my home state and as such, quite a lot of my high school classmates went on to the University of Maryland for college. One of my closest friends joined the marching band. We shall call him The Bus Driver. You'll learn why.

The Bus Driver was our star trumpeter in the high school band. Given the over-abundance of trumpets at Maryland, he switched to mellophone. It was one of the best decisions he ever made. He met the woman who would become his wife in the mellophone section. Some years later, they played together at our wedding.


Mellophone photo via Ironton High School Million Dollar Marching Band

In an enormous state university, a group like a marching band can be very important for a student finding his or her niche. For my pal, it also turned out to be an important network for good campus jobs. At Maryland, marching band members had the inside track for shuttle bus driver jobs. Back at my own college, I would tell tales of my friend The Bus Driver. Some of my friends came to believe that was his full-time job, not realizing it was a work-study gig - my buddy, Ralph Kramden!



One quick musical note: "The Victory Song" was composed by Thornton W. Allen. "Copacabana," on the other hand, was written by Jack Feldman, Barry Manilow and Bruce Sussman.


All This and Football, Too

My Picks for the Week: 12/20 (tied for 1st out of 3 players)
My Picks for the Season: 139/220 (3rd out of 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment