Tuesday, October 18, 2011

12 Books in 12 Months: Your Mom/Dad/Sister/Brother's Favorite Book

Title: Anne of Green Gables
Author: L. M. Montgomery


Image via Suite101.com

Anne Shirley is my kind of people. To be sure, her wit, eloquence, creativity and joie de vivre are enough to charm nearly any reader of L. M. Montgomery's classic. But when Anne told off Mrs Lynde for calling her homely, I was sold! I was entirely prepared for the girl to internalize her pain when she let the town busy body have it. Then again, how could one not love a chapter entitled "Mrs Rachel Lynde Is Properly Horrified"?

Anne of Green Gables is my sister's favorite book. I had never read it before. Now I look back, thinking of all the women I've known for whom this story was important and seeing something of Anne in each of them. Indeed, it would seem the precocious red head has been a part of my life all along. I love her as I love the many disciples who have shaped my life from birth.

I already know one book of Anne will not be enough for me. I know something of the broader story. We watched the Anne of Avonlea TV mini-series as a family once upon a time, on my sister's initiative, of course. I know, for instance, that the Gilbert Blythe saga is just getting started.

My sister wisely married her own Gilbert Blythe and they're busy raising a lovely family of their own, their son just a month younger than Our Girl. Sadly, they live far away in California so we don't get to see them very often. We do have plans for a vacation together next summer, though: a pilgrimage to Prince Edward Island. In preparation, My Wife is reading Anne to Our Girl - the first time for both of them.

*******************************

I hope that you, too, will join the 12 Books in 12 Months challenge. Details are here. My own list and books read by others shall be maintained on the pages list on my sidebar. Other blogs currently participating:

My Wife - Wikes! Hikes on the Long Trail
Mrs. Mock - Exclamation Point (!)

Two friends of My Wife are also participating: TonTon via Facebook and The Hermitess via Goodreads.

If you'd care to join the challenge, please let me know by commenting below or e-mailing me at armchairsquid@gmail.com. Also, please tell me how and where I can follow your posts. Don't be shy about suggesting other categories, either. It is my intention to compile a new list of 12 once this one is completed. My only parameter is that no one should have to buy anything in order to complete the challenge - nothing beyond a library card required.

No comments:

Post a Comment