Thursday, July 14, 2011

30 Songs in 30 Days, Day 28: A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty

Song: "Endless Love"
Writer: Lionel Richie
Performers: Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
Album: Endless Love: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack



This one was hard. I would be lying shamelessly if I were to say that I've lived a life free of guilt but I don't have many musical associations with guilt. I thought of one.

I had a friend in Japan whom we shall call Karaoke Queen. She is an ideal companion at karaoke bars because she's a good singer and also because she is trilingual: English, Japanese and Korean. If you can read those three languages, you essentially have the entire songbook to choose from in a Japanese karaoke establishment.

Karaoke is beyond popular in Japan and it was a frequent entertainment choice for our gang. KQ and I would occasionally do a number together. One night, towards the end of the evening, we sang "Endless Love" as a duet. Now, KQ had a boyfriend. We shall call him Burly Aussie (BA). He was burly but a really sweet guy, too. BA was out of the room when we sang and was quite hurt when he heard we'd sung "Endless Love." Apparently, he thought of it as "their song." Oh boy...

He forgave us, of course. No harm, no foul. But I have always felt a twinge of guilt about the whole episode.

*********************

I hope you'll join us for the "30 Songs in 30 Days" challenge, inspired by the tumblr list. Our 30 Songs roster:

Stay on target...
Marc Whitman's Blog
Haley says "Hello" To You

It's never too late to post your own. Tomorrow is...

Day 29: A Song from Your Childhood

4 comments:

  1. Did they end up together or did you drive a wedge between them...FOREVER?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are no longer, though I don't accept the blame. They're still friends, though. We're all in touch on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done karaoke...never will. I saw Lost In Translation, though. It looked fun, LOL.
    I love this song, love Lionel Richie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun. I haven't done it in years now but I have a lot of good karaoke memories from back in the day.

      Delete