Monday, June 20, 2011

My Baseball Fantasy: The Power of Poi

Private League: won, 6-3-1 (67-38-5 overall, 1st place out of 10, 1.5 games ahead)
Public League: 3rd out of 12
My Player of the Week: Shane Victorino (Center Fielder, Phillies) with 2 home runs, 7 RBI, 6 runs, 2 stolen bases and a .419 batting average


Photo via Fantasy Knuckleheads

As has been our tradition the past couple of years, we celebrated Father's Day with a trip to the bookstore. I picked up an ox-stunning copy of The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract, an analysis of decades past by the sabermetric guru himself. I tried to explain to My Wife what it was all about but she just rolled her eyes - understandably. Anyway, I expect it to provide years of browsing pleasure.

Last night's Yankees/Cubs tilt was interesting for me on the fantasy-baseball/real-baseball conflict front. In the real world, I would never root for the Yanks in such a matchup but given that my fantasy match was still fairly close, I was hoping for a good game for my guy (Alex Rodriguez, 3B, Yankees) and a poor game for his guy (Aramis Ramirez, 3B, Cubs). As it turned out, both had great games so it was a wash. A-Rod went 3-for-4 with 3 runs and 1 RBI. Ramirez went 4-for-5 with 1 run scored. Alas, the Cubbies lost, 10-4.

Meanwhile, today is the first day of my summer vacation. Our Girl's school runs a week longer than mine this year so I get some time to myself. I think My Wife is staying home on Thursday so we can celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary together. But today, I plan to enjoy some quiet time. Wimbledon is calling to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment