Saturday, June 25, 2011

30 Songs in 30 Days, Day 9: A Song That You Can Dance To

Song: "Cotton Eye Joe"
Writer: Traditional American folk song, arranged by Janne Ericsson, Örjan Öban Öberg and Pat Reiniz
Band: Rednex
Album: Sex & Violins

I taught the folk song, "Cotton-Eyed Joe" to a group of students one day and one of them piped up, "Hey, you know there's a dance to that!" Long story short, she taught the dance to me and to the rest of the class. Now, the Rednex version and the dance are a regular part of my curriculum.

There are LOADS of different dances to this song but this one is closest to the one I teach:



I love these guys:



These kids are pretty good, too:



A couples version:



But these ladies put us all to shame:



*********************

I hope you'll join us for the "30 Songs in 30 Days" challenge, inspired by the tumblr list. Our 30 Songs roster:

Stay on target...
Marc Whitman's Blog
Haley says "Hello" To You

It's never too late to post your own. Tomorrow is...

Day 10: A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep

3 comments:

  1. Though I do not do it well, I REALLY like to dance. I prefer following a pattern more than free style. One of the PE Units I wrote in college was around square dancing and dancing was my second PE requirement (my first was badminton).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few of the videos were broken, but I got to see the ladies dance!
    One of the most fun things my grandma and I ever did together was clogging, she reallllly wanted to CLOG, so we did it together. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ladies are the class act of the post. The others are there for variety.

      I just taught it to a new batch of third graders this past week!

      Delete