Sunday, June 19, 2011

30 Songs in 30 Days, Day 3: A Song That Makes You Happy

Song: "I Melt with You"
Writers: Robbie Grey, Gary McDowell, Stephen Walker, Michael Conroy and Richard Brown
Band: Modern English
Album: After the Snow



I have long believed that there should be a radio station that plays this song on an endless loop so that whenever you're feeling down, you could turn it on and feel better. I realize, of course, that in the current technological age, it's easy enough to arrange for this on my own. But it's the thought that counts.

This is no mindless pop song. Listen to the drum track sometime, performed by Richard Brown. That guy is going to town! One thing I really admire in a drummer is the ability to incorporate the toms meaningfully. In capable hands, a trap set can practically become a pitched instrument. If you really want to geek out, listen to the cross-rhythm between the drum and bass: five against eight - very cool!

******************

I hope you'll join us for the "30 Songs in 30 Days" challenge, inspired by the tumblr list. My friends Mock (Stay on target...) and Marc (Marc Whitman's Blog) have also taken up the challenge.

Mock's daughter has now joined in the fun. Check out her blog at Haley says "Hello" To You.

It's never too late to post your own. Tomorrow is...

Day 4: A Song That Makes You Sad

6 comments:

  1. Love this song. All of the "New Wave" (or what have you music) from back in the day seems to hold up nicely for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'One thing I really admire in a drummer is the ability to incorporate the toms meaningfully.'

    I was just gonna read these last ones quietly but had to pipe up when I read this. I won't forget it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't pretend I know anything about how it's done. I just know I like it when I hear it.

      Delete
    2. I do know a little about how it's done.

      Delete
  3. This is another one of my all-time favorites. Way way way back when iTunes was brand new, this was one of my very first downloads. HAD to have it on my iTunes! LOL

    ReplyDelete