Thursday, June 30, 2011

30 Songs in 30 Days, Day 14: A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love

Song: "As Long As You Love Me"
Writer: Max Martin
Band: Backstreet Boys
Album: Backstreet's Back



I have an excuse. When I was 24, I spent the Christmas season in New Zealand, travelling mostly in the North Island. This was pre-Lord of the Rings by a few years so while I knew the country was beautiful, I was entirely unprepared for how breathtaking the scenery would be: miles and miles of exotic vegetation, tranquil bluffs, white sand beaches and an ocean the color of emeralds. New Zealand has fjords. Who knew? Neither postcards nor film do New Zealand justice and I didn't even get to see the best parts - another trip for another time.

This song was on the radio all the time during that trip - three or four times per hour. According to Wikipedia, it went to #1 in New Zealand and I'm not surprised. So while I generally object to the Backstreet Boys, this particular tune evokes images of the future Middle Earth spreading out before me.

I wish I could claim the photos below are ones I took myself. Perhaps they will give you an idea of what I mean.


Photo via New Zealand Travel


Photo via CNTraveller.com


Photo via Eske Style

*********************

I hope you'll join us for the "30 Songs in 30 Days" challenge, inspired by the tumblr list. Our 30 Songs roster:

Stay on target...
Marc Whitman's Blog
Haley says "Hello" To You

It's never too late to post your own. Tomorrow is...

Day 15: A Song That Describes You

3 comments:

  1. Now I will have to imagine Peter Jackson hiring them for his Hobbit flicks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine how beautiful New Zealand must have been. I remember hearing that song over and over but I wasn't sure which of the boy bands sang it...

    ReplyDelete