Wednesday, June 29, 2011

30 Songs in 30 Days, Day 13: A Song That Is a Guilty Pleasure

Song: "If"
Writer: David Gates
Band: Bread
Album: Manna



I could put together quite a list of these but this ridiculously dear song is particularly dear to me. While I was in Japan, I taught in three different public high schools - two high-level academic schools and one low-level one. At the low-level one, the teachers liked using popular songs to encourage their students to learn English. We examined this one at a moment in my life when the lyrics hit me in just the right spot.

Several years ago, a friend of ours, Danny Thompson, produced a play entitled The Complete Lost Works of Samuel Beckett as found in an envelope (partially burned) in a dustbin in Paris labeled "Never to be performed. Never. Ever. EVER! Or I'll sue! I'LL SUE FROM THE GRAVE!!!" as discovered by Greg Allen, Ben Scheider & Danny Thompson. One "play" consists entirely of a man dressed as an old woman rocking in a chair while listening to this song over and over and over and over... Very funny!

Alas, no video clips are available. But I do have the following to share with you, which is nearly as good. Trust me. Watch it. You'll be so glad you did.




*********************

I hope you'll join us for the "30 Songs in 30 Days" challenge, inspired by the tumblr list. Our 30 Songs roster:

Stay on target...
Marc Whitman's Blog
Haley says "Hello" To You

It's never too late to post your own. Tomorrow is...

Day 14: A Song That No One Would Expect You to Love

5 comments:

  1. I have been unable to bring myself to listen to Telly's version...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's one I remember. And I think when I looked at this post and actually listened to Telly, I thought, this Squid person is all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day I posted this, the Telly video went viral at My Wife's workplace. Words really don't do it justice - must be seen to be believed!

      Delete
  3. Oh my. Telly.
    Thank you. Just...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful? One of my best finds of the entire project.

      Delete