Sunday, June 26, 2011

30 Songs in 30 Days, Day 10: A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep

Rag: Charukeshi
Performers: Ravi Shankar (sitar) and Alla Rakha (tabla)



One of the great pleasures of being a music major is that you get to go to the library listening room, put on headphones, fall asleep in your chair and call it studying. I wonder what has happened to library listening rooms in the current technological age. Do they even exist anymore with so many things accessible online?

I took an Asian music class my junior year and sitar music, particularly of the northern classical style, was the surest bet for knocking me out. I still consider it to be the greatest nap music there is. Shankar is, of course, the world's most famous virtuoso and not just for his association with the Beatles. I have a feeling the video above may even be one I watched in college.

*********************

I hope you'll join us for the "30 Songs in 30 Days" challenge, inspired by the tumblr list. Our 30 Songs roster:

Stay on target...
Marc Whitman's Blog
Haley says "Hello" To You

It's never too late to post your own. Tomorrow is...

Day 11: A Song from Your Favorite Band

3 comments:

  1. I've always foun.................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a little nap while watching this video, very nice.

    They still had listening rooms while I was in college, but that was twenty years ago so, um, never mind! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No shame, Michelle! It was about the same span for me.

      Delete