Monday, January 17, 2011

Australian Open Day 1: The First Golden Squid

Curtain Call

Player: Jamie Hampton
Age: 20
Nation: USA
Current Ranking: 132
Today's Result: loss to Elena Baltacha (UK) in three sets


Photo via daylife

Hampton is an Auburn, Alabama native, having qualified for her first Australian Open. This is, in fact, only her second slam overall, having played in the 2010 US Open.


Catching Up with Old Friends

Tobias Kamke
(Curtain Call, RG Day 4) - Kamke drew countryman Philipp Kohlschreiber in the first round, definitely a tough customer. Kohlschreiber came from two sets down to win it in five. I'm sure Tobias is smarting from the loss right now but this is his first Aussie Open and, as such, it does amount to his best result at the event. This is, in fact, the fourth consecutive slam in which Kamke has qualified as either a Curtain Call or Catching Up feature here on The Armchair Squid - the first player to do so. I feel this is worthy of special distinction and so, I award Tobias Kamke of Germany the first ever Golden Squid!


Photo via The Times of India


Photo via tenhand.com

I won't go too deeply into how I select my curtain calls but basically, it's a player who plays well on a given day and improves on the previous year's result. I keep up with those who continue to have good results in further slams. Kamke is the first of my Curtain Calls to show improvement through an entire calendar year. Congratulations to you, sir! I hope this honor serves as a small consolation.

I am not the only person honoring Tobias these days. He was named the ATP's Newcomer of the Year for 2010, having improved his ranking from #254 to #66. Here at The Squid, we shall follow his future progress with great interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment