Friday, September 3, 2010

US Open Day 5: Minella

Curtain Call

Player: Mandy Minella
Nation: Luxembourg
Age: 24
Current Ranking: 185
Notable Conquest: Tsvetana Pironkova (32nd seed, Bulgaria)
Tour Page
Today's Result: loss to Venus Williams (3rd, USA) in straight sets

Minella was dazzled into submission by Venus and her far too sparkly dress this evening. But to go through qualifying to reach your first slam main draw at 24 is a very big deal. Add to that beating Pironkova, a semifinalist at Wimbledon but a few weeks ago and playing a living legend under the lights on Arthur Ashe, and Minella's got an awfully good story to tell the grandchildren.


My Tennis Fantasy

Ana Ivanovic carried my banner successfully today in the suicide pool, taking out Virginie Razzano in straight sets. I could go back and check but I'm pretty sure this is my first time making it to the weekend in one of these. I'm starting to get a little nervous!

No comments:

Post a Comment