Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wimbledon Day 9: Two More Years?

Curtain Call

Player: Yen-Hsun Lu
Nation: Chinese Taipei
Age: 26
Current Ranking: 82
Notable Conquests: Andy Roddick (5th seed, USA)
Tour Page
Today's Result: loss to Novak Djokovic (3rd, Serbia) in straight sets

So, Lu's fairy tale ends. But his quarterfinal finish is the best Slam result of his career. Can this catapult him into a big hard court season or is he a flash in the pan?

I don't think it's time to hit the panic button for Federer. I do think, however, that perhaps the time has come to adjust our expectations for the greatest player who ever lived. First, some perspective. Yes, two consecutive Slams failing to reach the semis is surprising by SuperFed standards. On the other hand, 25 consecutive quarterfinal-or-better Slam results is pretty darn good by anyone else's. It would appear that, nonetheless, in filling out one's bracket, one need no longer write Roger's name in pen for the semi slot.

Some time ago, Federer said that his goal was to play in the 2012 Olympics in London. That's just two years from now. I'm guessing that summer will be his last. I hope he can be spared a George Bastl moment and there may still be a Slam or two in his bag. But the guard has changed. It was going to happen eventually. Let's hope he can conduct this part of his career with the same grace he displayed at his peak.


All Part of My Fantasy

In Federer, I have lost one of my finalists. Only Nadal can help me now. Vamos!

No comments:

Post a Comment