Sunday, June 6, 2010

Roland Garros Day 15: Long May He Reign

Curtain Call

Player: Ons Jabeur
Nation: Tunisia
Age: 15
Current Ranking: 724
Notable Conquests: Irina Khromacheva (3rd seed, Russia) and Caroline Garcia (15th, France)
Tour Page
Today's Result: loss to Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) in straight sets

Jabeur lost in today's Girls' Singles final but at 15, the future sure looks bright. She is a two-time under-16s champion in Africa. As previously noted, success on the junior circuit guarantees nothing for the future but I love the idea of Tunisia emerging as a tennis power.

With his win today, Nadal reclaims the World #1 ranking. It feels better this time. The priorities for Federer, both on and off the court, have clearly changed and the time seems right for a new leading man. I'd rather not see Fed fade completely and I hope their rivalry will still be meaningful for a while longer but I feel like a new chapter has begun. I'm more ready for it this time. Fed has a lot more points to defend over the next several months so Rafa's tenure at the top could last a while. Rafa has certainly earned the right to play this role and tennis shall be better for it. I feel like equilibrium has been restored today and it's a nice feeling.


All Part of My Fantasy

Nadal also rescued my bracket, though only a little. Surely, more people picked Rafa to win than not but I still get a points boost, finishing in the top 71%. As with the women, I hope for a better performance at Wimbledon.


That's all for Roland Garros - a great tournament as ever. Wimbledon's just two weeks away!

No comments:

Post a Comment